Wednesday, November 16, 2005

On happy holiday memories

Okay, so I cannot express how chuffed I was to find an MSN search for slovak crescent nut filled cookies pointing to my blog. I just find it interesting, because while I've never actually posted about "slovak crescent nut filled cookies" before, this is the perfect place to end up, 'cause I happen to know exactly what Slovak Cookie Searcher From Ontario was looking for.

The cookies are called Kolacky, my aunt and mother make them by the bucketload every Christmas, and I absolutely despise them. The cookies, I mean. Mom always makes them with minced nuts, and the end result (through no fault of her own; it's inherent in the cookie) is a pastry so dry that a glass of milk is required for swallowing purposes. I'm thinking of suggesting poppyseeds or apricots this year.

Regardless of the aridity of the cookies, however, I eat them just as fast as Mom can make themm because to me, dry-ass kolacky is the taste of Christmas. Thus I share with you, dear reader(s), and you, Slovak Cookie Searcher From Ontario, my recipe for kolacky. Mom, Aunt G., feel free to correct anything in need of correction; your mileage may vary.
Kolacky: The Filling
* 2 1/2 lb. chopped nuts (walnuts or other)
* 1 1/2 box powdered sugar
* 8 egg whites
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 tablespoon cinnamon
* milk, enough to make the filling spread easily

Mix all ingredients well in bowl.

Kolacky: The Pastry
*2 pkg. active dry yeast
*1/4 c. warm water
*7 c. flour
*1 tsp. salt
*2 c. butter, soft
*4 eggs, beaten
*2 c. whipping cream

In small bowl, dissovle yeast in warm water. In large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in yeast, egg and whipping cream. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth. Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover; refrigerate until firm, 6 hours or overnight.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Roll out dough on sugared surface to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into 3 inch squares. Spoon 1 teaspoon filling in center of each square. Bring up two opposite corners to center; pinch together tightly to seal. Fold sealed tip to one side; pinch to seal. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.

Serve with milk, coffee, cocoa, or a nice glass of sherry. Don't say I never gave you anything.

No comments: