Monday, December 05, 2005

On how They see Us

Okay, so I've gotten a few suggestions from a few people about how to polish up my post on Democratic values, and I told them to get their own damn blog, if they thought they could do any better. No! That's not what I told them. I told them I'd take their suggestions under advisement and consider reviewing that post later on in the month.

But it did get me to thinking about the ways different people see the Democratic party, and government in general. A relative of mine (who shall remain nameless, because he' s in the kind of profession that discourages political statements made on the Internet) pointed out that when the first Congress was convened, it was made up of guys with actual jobs. They weren't going to waste their time on ridiculously porky legislation or laws determining who could marry whom, because they had a tobacco crop that had to come in before it got moldy and my idiot nephew is minding the till at the store and Mrs. Goodman down the street could go into labor at any minute. Party values were closer to actual societal values because legislators were actual members of society.

So here's the audience participation part: What do you consider to be your own personal values, and what do you consider to be the values of your party? I'd love to hear from Democrats and Republicans. And while you're being so introspective, I'd love to know what you consider to be the values of the opposing party. Are you a Republican who really thinks that Dems value the right to marry sheep? Let me know.

Unrelated sidenote: On the off chance that they manage to stumble across this blog, much thanks go out to I HOKIE for turning around and pulling over when you saw we were in trouble. That was a mighty decent thing to do, and it's nice to see that there are still people who look out for other people. Those are some values right there.

No comments: