Tuesday, December 27, 2005

On New Year's resolutions - specifically, screw 'em

Okay, so I am, alas, back from my Christmas break. In case anyone was wondering, it was a lovely one - I finally managed to find the Christmas spirit I was looking for, I managed to stay on my feet when the incense at midnight Mass made me seriously woozy, and everyone who got a gift from me managed to fake enough appreciative glee to satisfy me. Plus, I found the glass pickle hidden in the Christmas tree, which I do every year, probably because I'm the only person who bothers to look.

The next big holiday, of course, is New Year's Eve, which might be spent downtown at a black tie gala where the champagne flows like water or, if the guy's insurance company doesn't get me that check for my medical expenses (anyone want to take any bets?), in my apartment in my comfy fleece pj's and a tiara, watching "It's a Wonderful Life" with my girlfriends and swilling not-quite-bottom-shelf spumante at the stroke of midnight. In all honesty, that second scenario almost sounds like a better evening.

With the new year generally comes New Year's resolutions, and I've made it clear in the past that I'm not a fan. The turning over of a new calendar page seems like a pretty lousy impetus for personal change, compared to any other earth-shattering events that really leave a mark. So I'm not going to make any this year. I will, however, look back on last year's resolutions and see how I did.

1. I resolve to shut up about politics already
Har, har. I'm not sure what meds I was on when I wrote this one. I made the (valid) point that generally, when a political subject arises on this blog, the liberals agree with me (which they'd do anyway) and the conservatives call me a kook (which they'd do anyway), and then I said something about pigs. Well, I'm happy to say that there has been some good discussion, that I've gotten agreement and disagreement from both sides, and that everyone has minded their manners as much as could be expected. This is one resolution I'm rather glad I broke.

2. I resolve to pay more attention to the people who actually have power
This one, I actually managed to keep. With only the occasional glance at the Ann Coulters and Bill O'Reillys and (hee hee) Pastor Swanks of the world, I managed to spend most of my energy on administration figures, legislators, and, of course, football powerhouses. And it's worked out well for me. Expect to see more of this in the future, as debate revs up over exactly how much power the Executive Branch should expect to wield.

3. I resolve to be a better Christian.
Oh, this is a tricky one, because the definition of a "good Christian" is really in the eye of the beholder. My resolution really centered around being a better Christian Democrat, mostly in terms of doing the things Jesus would have me do rather than the things that Pat Robertson would have me do, and I like to think I've done that. Not judging, lest I be judged, is still a bit of a challenge, but nobody's perfect. That having been said, being better is a tricky goal, because there's always another better beyond it, so while I'd say that I was better than last year, I'm still under the obligation to be more better this year.

4. I resolve to date more civilians
Completely personal and unrelated to this blog. I kept this one.

5. I resolve to chill
This one, alas, I was unable to keep. One reason that New Year's resolutions are so hard to keep is that they're often complicated by outside forces. In this case, my resolution to relax more, party more, and drink more decaf was complicated by a work schedule that offered no vacations (plenty of vacation days available, but no time to take them), no lagniappe salary for partying, and no reason to drink anything but high-test (or, better still, freebase the Folger's crystals and then lick the spoon). If I were going to make a resolution this year, which I'm not, it would involve finding a new job that would allow for the aforementioned chilling. Or a rich husband. If that's you, feel free to apply in comments below.

With all of the above in mind, it's been a pretty good year. I hope that your have all been pretty good as well, and if they haven't, I don't want to hear about it. I'm still rockin' the post-Christmas good-will-to-all buzz. Hold off until around January 7, then we can start with the griping. I wish you all a merry Christmas and a happy first week of the New Year.

No comments: