Monday, April 03, 2006

On border countries (not that one, the other one)

Okay, so over at a very funny Sadly, No! post about wingnuts and Scandinavia, one of the commenters starts taking random and totally uncalled-for swings at our neighbors to the north. Now, I'll admit, I laughed my butt off at the South Park movie, I know all the words to "Blame Canada" (even though I had to Google Anne Murray to find out who she was), and I still do the "aboot" and "eh" thing even recognizing that it's not nice to tease. But I do it all with affection, because the fact is, I love Canada. I love hockey. I love snow. I love walking into a bar in Toronto and not getting a faceful of smoke. I love their vast, untapped oil reserves, and they way they cleverly sit on them in anticipation of someday becoming a world superpower. I love Diana Krall and Treble Charger. I love Douglas Coupland. I love Mike Myers and Norm MacDonald (for the most part) and William Shatner.

I feel a song coming on...


O Canada!


Our home and native land!


True patriot love in all thy sons command.


With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!



From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

(Come on, people, he can't be held solely responsible for Star Wars.)


God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.



O Canada, we stand on guard...


for...


thee.

No comments: