Friday, September 29, 2006

On the land of the free: This Is Your Soundtrack

Okay, so as you probably gathered from my last post, I'm not terribly chuffed with recent developments in our government. I think they, in a word, suck. I feel betrayed by the legislature, particularly by those twelve Dems who voted to allow torture and suspend habeas corpus, and by the three Republicans who pretended to stand up for what was right only to roll over and whine when Bush said, "No! Bad dog!"

And that's why this Friday Not-Even-Random Ten is dedicated to the free citizens of the US. The bill in question will probably be signed into law by Bush today, meaning that the "free" part may well go right out the window, and who knows what'll happen to the idea of citizenship. I figure this may be the last day I can blog as an opinionated Democrat rather than a treasonous dissenter-combatant person, so I should get to it.

The Ten:

1. Dave Matthews Band, "Cry Freedom"
2. Barenaked Ladies, "Told You So"
3. Tears for Fears, "Woman in Chains"
4. Coldplay, "Everything's Not Lost"
5. Dixie Chicks, "I Hope"
6. U2, "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of"
7. Beat Foundation, "My Freedom"
8. Astrud Gilberto, "Here's That Rainy Day"
9. The Crystal Method, "Keep Hope Alive"
10. W.H. Auden, "After the Funeral (Stop All the Clocks)" (read by John Hannah)

And a bonus 11:


11. Nada Surf, "Always Love"

Your thoughts, your Ten, your whatever go below - and just as a warning: I don't censor comments, and I welcome debate, but today of all days, I am not one to be fucked with.

No comments: