Friday, February 01, 2008

On the good, the bad, and the Friday Random Ten


Two worthy causes (and I volunteer to personally help Clive Owen kick the nic, even if that means spending every single day with him)

Okay, so I'm ashamed to admit that I completely forgot that Ash Wednesday, the kickoff to Lent, is next week. If it hadn't been for Doug's reminder, I might have missed it entirely and been condemned to whatever circle of hell hosts Lenten-sacrifice-non-giver-uppers. The fifth circle? Isn't that the one where you have to wax Adnan Ghalib's chin-landing-strip constantly and it keeps growing back? Anyway, since I certainly don't want to end up there, I'll have to get busy coming up with a Lenten sacrifice. In the past, I've given up swearing, alcohol, and/or caffeine; I may choose any or all of those. Just as long as I can keep my cocaine habit.

What's good (for the week ending 2/1):

- speed dating. No, seriously, it's fun. I did the Ronald Single Mingle at the Barking Kudu (benefiting the Ronald McDonald House; great charity, that) last night, and having the opportunity to talk to about twenty different -- very different -- guys for three minutes apiece was a unique and enjoyable experience. I think the trick is to have a friend or three with you and drink more than is generally advisable. And a note to the guy in the Cookie Monster costume: I was #8, in the gray top and jeans, and you need to call me.
- tunics. I'm so glad that tunics have been big this season, because I'm ridiculously, unnaturally long-waisted and I can go months without finding a shirt that doesn't fit like a crop top. Big ups to whichever writer at WWD decided that hip-length tops would be all the rage (in my former life, that writer would have been yours truly).
- Monopoly
- umbrellas. Would have been nice to have one on Tuesday. Or yesterday.
- Dubya's last SOTU ever

What's bad:

- political infighting. Come on, folks, I realize that the primaries are a competition of sorts, but we have to be careful not to slam our primary opponents so hard that, come general-election time, we don't have any electable candidates left in the party.
- cigarette smoke. I'm so allergic, it's not even funny.

The Ten:

1. Kenny Neal, "She Ain't Happy Unless She's Sad"
2. Green Day, "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)"
3. Donny Hathaway, "She Is My Lady"
4. Enya, "Deora Ar Mo Chroi"
5. Kid Rock, "Cowboy"
6. Wolfgang Mozart, "Il Catalogo e Questo" from Don Giovanni
6. The Fugees, "The Score"
7. Pet Shop Boys, "Minimal"
8. Tina Turner, "Steamy Windows"
9. Gioacchino Rossini, "Cum Sancto Spiritu" from Petite Messe Solennelle
10. Johnny Cash, "Ring of Fire"

If this Random Ten is making predictions for the success of the coming weekend, I'm sure it's saying that I should expect a call from Cookie Monster. What was good for you this week?

No comments: